Saturday, March 20, 2010

Journey of Madhumaya from a Women to a Social Worker


Journey Of Madhumaya From a Woman To a Social Worker

March 17, 2010. Madhumaya was working in her house while we visited her. She has been working as a FCHV for more than one decade in ward No. 1 of Thaprek VDC of Tanahun district. She had got her schooling to class 8only and got married. Now, she has her two daughters and one son who are pursuing their higher studies in Damauli and Kathmandu. Thaprek Health Post In Charge Mr. Raghu Nath Bhattarai says, “ Madhumaya is the most dedicated FCHV of my VDC and she has been leading other FCHVs for taking initiatives in health programs of VDCs”. While discussion her journey as a FCHV she states,
“I am working as a FCHV for this ward for eleven years. I am providing services for mother and children including first aid for all. I also treat pneumonia of children who are less than five years of age.
Initially, as a FCHV, I used to provide first aid, distribute ORS and provide health education to the people of my ward. After getting training on CB-IMCI, I got to learn how to identify the pneumonia with help of timer. Now, I can use timer, classification card, cotrim treatment card and medicine for treating pneumonia. It has been almost four years that I am treating pneumonia in my own place. To date more than hundred cases got treatment from me. Yes, some child didn’t get well; I sent them to hospital as I learned to do so in my training. So, people now bring their children to get suggestion for treatment as well receive treatment while children are sick.
Not only as a FCHV but also as a trained traditional birth attendant, I am confident in providing advices to the mothers in my community. Immediately after my training as a trained traditional birth attendant, I have saved life of a woman who was unable to expel placenta. As she had no body to bring her to me, I went to her house. I examined her and found she was bleeding and also had her full bladder. I suggested her to micturate so that her bladder would be empty. I also suggested the family member to give her hot fluids. I also made her to breast feed her baby. Within few minutes, she expelled placenta and her bleeding also stopped. Since then, I am treating and suggesting for illness of herself and her children.
Now one decade has gone and my service is continued. I was unknown as an individual in my place. Now, ask anybody in the village, they know me, and the most important, they believe me. They come to me and look for my advice. In the recent campaign of filariasis program, everybody got medicine from me and hence, my village and ward knows me for what I work for. You would never have come to me if I were not a FCHV. Previously, I used to have shaking my feet and lose my words when I spoke to public and unknown people and I could not express myself. Now I can express what I feel, what I know and what I need. Now health facilities, local community organizations, VDC and local school call me for my service, suggestion and participation. My voice is heard in every institution in my place. I am also involved in all social works, school management committee, and community organization and consumer group of our village. Just in one line I can say previously I used to search others but now society and organizations search me. These things make me feel self esteemed and I find myself a valuable member of my society.
I recall the days while I was not a FCHV. I used to stay in my home. I was recognized as a member of my family only and not as a single individual. Now, people know me by my name as a FCHV. My husband and family member also had supported me for all these endeavors. My husband supports me for household work while I am busy in mother’s group meeting, immunization clinic and other social groups. Family members now make time for allowing me for my social involvement as a part of routine work and hence I feel, days are easier than before. While I am discussing with you about the matter, look my husband is working in household. While I am showing some children of my village he will be preparing meal for us. Do you accept to have meal with us?
Being a FCHV, I am trained in CB-IMCI and TTBA from DACAW program of UNICEF as our health post in charge informed me. TTBA training was conducted in district head quarter where I got to learn a lot on care of pregnancy, child bearing and post partum. Before CB-IMCI training, I used to provide home therapy advice, first-aid and referral. After CB-IMCI training, I am treating the cases in my village. As our health post staffs shared our review meetings are also supported by UNICEF. You know, this type of review meetings are very important for us as we get new energy to work. Thanks UNICEF! For helping us saving lives of our children and mothers. We know new things to learn from health post staffs and other FCHVs. Community mobilizer in our village conducts regular growth monitoring program for our children. I also got support from village facilitator. I am also supporting local child development centre for childhood illness management”.
“We have a child development centre in our village. There are 26 children of our village. One facilitator help these children. We have good relation with our FHCV to support each other. If our facilitator finds any illness in children she sends the child to Madhumaya (the FCHV). Madhumaya first examine the child and either provide medicine or suggestions. Again, based on Madhumaya’s suggestion, our facilitator makes follow up. Since our children get treatment from FCVH, it has been good support for our child development centre”, says Mr. Lekhnath Panthee, the president of a local child development centre. He adds, “ Since we get help from her, we also help her for immunization days, polio and vit.A day and, as she requests”.
“ She saved my daughter in law while my daughter in law was not able to expel placenta and bleeding” says Ms. Bal Kumari Mishra a 66-year old Mother-in-law of the women that FCHV stated above. She adds “I have two grand children. Both of them become sick time and again. We always take them to Madhumaya (FCHV) to get treatment. She has a machine that says if our child has pneumonia. If our child has pneumonia, she gives medicine for free.” If we stop FCHVs to provide service in the community? A question that makes her feel unpleasant. She replies, “Why should government stop her service? She is providing service for our children, women and all. Even if government stops her service, I know she will help us by providing suggestions while we and our children are sick”. If mothers’ group meeting propose you to be FCHV for this ward, will you accept the post? The question that makes her face blushed for a while. She say, “ Ha ha! I think I am too old to take all the responsibilities of FCHVs. Yes, if I were of your age, I would happily accept to be a FCHV”.

No comments:

Post a Comment